Senior Hydrology / Hydraulics Engineer
Helena, MT – Preferred Bozeman, MT; Kalispell, MT
$85,000 to $105,000/yr Depends on Experience
Open until filled
ROBERT PECCIA & ASSOCIATES (RPA) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Hydrology/Hydraulics Engineer. This individual will provide team leadership and technical support on water resource projects primarily within the Streets and Highways Group. The successful candidate will have a comprehensive range of hydrology and hydraulic engineering experience related to transportation infrastructure projects. Key traits include self-motivation, team-oriented, technically proficient, and strong leadership characteristics.
Company Culture and Benefits
- RPA is an award-winning 100 percent employee-owned (ESOP) full-service civil engineering, planning, and land surveying firm with offices in Helena, Kalispell, and Bozeman, Montana. We take pride in our personalized service and sterling reputation for designing practical and sustainable engineering solutions for public and private clients across the northwest. We are an employee-focused company and offer excellent benefits, family-oriented atmosphere, and great work/home life balance.
We are proud of our dedication to client service and commitment to our staff. Some of our core values are listening, respect, integrity, empowerment, teamwork, and social responsibility. RPA offers a flexible, friendly work environment that encourages collaboration and creativity. We provide exceptional benefits that include:
- Employer retirement contributions of up to 25 percent of earnings with no employee match required.
- Generous firm-wide bonus structure for all employees.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Paid time for any hours exceeding 40 per week.
- Three (3) weeks of paid annual leave per year for new employees. Four (4) weeks after service time requirements.
- Seven (7) paid holidays plus two (2) paid personal days per year.
- Six (6) days of paid sick leave per year.
- Paid health insurance, HSA, and flexible medical spending options.
- Paid professional registrations, continuing education, and leadership training.
- Matching charitable donations through RPA Gives Program.
- 100% employee-owned company.
RPA is an equal employment opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to a diverse workforce.
The Senior Hydrology/Hydraulics Engineer will serve as a design team leader on highway design projects across the northwest. This position will support our highly ranked and successful Streets and Highways Group. In this role, you will lead a team to design, analyze, and provide technical expertise for water resources on transportation projects. Specific responsibilities may include the following:
- Serve as a discipline lead for hydrology and hydraulics on projects of varying size and scope.
- Analyze and design common drainage and water resources including storm sewer, culverts, water quality BMPs, pipe hydraulics, bridge hydraulics, scour, floodplain evaluation, irrigation design, and permit compliance.
- Review team member preliminary designs for compliance with federal, state, and local criteria and regulations.
- Perform site reviews and studies to ensure designs are aligned with location constraints and specifications.
- Coordinate and build effective relationships with clients, government agencies, and other professionals.
- Provide mentorship, training, and guidance to junior engineers.
- Prepare written reports, calculations, and other design documentation.
Individual qualities that the company looks for are self-motivation, intelligence, common sense, industriousness, and the ability to communicate and work well with people. We will consider applicants with varied experience levels but are most focused on qualified individuals who exhibit leadership skills and strong technical knowledge in highway design. The following are desired qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Professional Engineering license in Montana or ability to obtain within six (6) months.
- Eight years of (8) years of progressive experience in transportation engineering.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, communication skills, and ability to work with various teams.
- Experienced in roadside drainage including storm drain modeling, culvert sizing, and channel analysis and preparation of engineering design details and supporting documents and reports.
- Proficient in analysis software such as HydroCAD, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, HY-8, and SSA, and CADD design software such as MicroStation and OpenRoads or Civil3D.
- Superior attention to detail and technical proficiency.
- Experience working with the Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) highly desirable.
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) desirable.
- Self-motivated and ability to handle tight deadlines and make independent decisions.
- Ability and desire to develop and mentor staff.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter and resume along with application to: email@example.com